Friday, October 23, 2009

Telling Mom, Dad, and Niels

Well, I had to tell Mom almost immediately because she and I were both "single" one week, as our husbands were out of town. She decided to come hang out at the house, watch a movie and spend the night. It was Wednesday, the day after we found out. She came over and we were chatting, and I just told her! So, her plans for wine turned into a martini, since I couldn't share the bottle with her. We enjoyed each other's company and I was excited that Mom was in on the secret from the beginning.

Telling Dad was a bit more difficult. We had my Aunt Claudia's surprise 50th birthday party to attend. It wasn't easy to hide our new secret from the entire family, but I got through it fairly painlessly. Matt and I left the dog at Mom and Dad's with the intent of telling Dad when we went back to the house to pick her up after the party. Problem was, we couldn't get Dad out of the party very easily. He was having too much fun evidently. We finally were able to get him home and after sitting around the living room and visiting, Matt came out and said it. I think Dad was a bit shocked that Mom knew "all along"!! Shouldn't have been at the deer lease all week! :)

We then decided Niels needed to be in on the scoop, so Taryn suggested a family dinner a few weeks later at Ra Sushi. Unfortunately, M&D were "lost" so they weren't able to see it all go down, but it still was fun. Matt and I arrived a bit early with a baby bottle in hand that had "You are going to be an uncle" in the bottle itself. After Niels ordered his beer, the waiter apologized for not having a clean glass, but that Niels could use "this" and then handed Niels the baby bottle. At first he thought it was a joke from the waiter, but after reading the bit about being an uncle, he got it. It was a fun way to let him in on the family secret.

No comments:

Post a Comment